Sunday, October 21, 2007

Freezing Sunday Morning

It's 37 degrees outside this morning and the wind is crazy wild! Although, at this particular moment it seems to be a bit calmer. Last night was like hearing a wailing cry that never rested.

Before I went to sleep last night I thought of some more great scenes and events for my novel. I'm keeping them in my sketchbook by my bed (really I carry this thing around with me everywhere). Why is it that all great ideas seem to come when you are almost asleep? Is the mind more relaxed and thus not distracted by daily life? Is the veil between conscious and unconscious blurred enough to let those gifts from beyond filter in? It's a mystery, but a fascinating one.

Anyway, my MC (main character) is going to be known to all as Guardian. His real name Jacob Mons is known only to his family who have not been in his life for decades or maybe a century (if I choose century that will have some interesting "time" implications for the story). Still looking for a name for the Seeker and the bad guy (girl). Suggestions?

I'm going to have a flash back scene where the Guardian is too late getting to his new Seeker to save him from the bad guys. The event will have happened just after Jacob completes his training and becomes Guardian. Having this happen is a way to create a memory that haunts my MC as he learns a new Seeker has been appointed to him.

Isn't this fun?! Yeah!

3 comments:

Pink Icing said...

Sounds fabulous! And somewhat scary....
Found your site by the movie section on your profile. We both like Top Hat.
I am a frustrated writer, actually a frustrated many things but continue to sate my needs in little ways.
Good luck and I'll drop by again to see how this mighty but no doubt rewarding task progresses.

Deb Eisloeffel said...

Jill, try dreams as word-builders. Your comment about ideas coming readily as you are going to sleep made me remember this.

You can make up dreams for your characters, or just write dreams that you have (and maybe find a way for them to make sense in the story - wouldn't THAT be fun!)

Just keep writing! (sung to the tune of "just keep swimming" by Dora in "Finding Nemo")

I'm proud of you -- and your plot sounds like great fun!

Deb

Jill Koelling said...

Thanks Deb - I appreciate your positive thinking and your encouragement! The dream idea is a great one!