Saturday, October 20, 2007

Finding the Words

I spent some time this afternoon looking at the forums on the NaNoWriMo site. There are a lot of people out there posting away like mad! It's pretty great! Everyone is gearing up for November and making some interesting suggestions on how to hit the 50,000 word count. For example:
"Put potato in as every other word."

"Have your MCs (Main Characters) fight like little kids a lot"

"Yes you did!"
"No I didn't."
"Yes you did!"
"No I didn't."
"Yes
you did!"
"No I didn't."
"Yes you did!"
"No I didn't."
"Describe everything in excruciating detail." (think Henry James)

It's all been fun, but it also made me finally decide to answer the question I've been avoiding for the past twelve days, "Just how many words a day are we talking about here?"

The answer (and don't all you wiz-kids answer without giving the rest of us a chance)?
1,667 words a day.

Can we all agree right now - at 10:06pm on a Saturday evening, that 1,667 words a day is a LOT? Yeah, I think so too! But, hey, all my friends are going to send me chocolate, chai, peanut M&Ms, lots of light and love and maybe some WORDS.........right?????? Right????? Please????

I don't mean to sound so pathetic and it's not even November yet. I'm really not too panicked! In fact, every day I think of more ways to add to my story --- the trick is to remember them in the heat of the moment (of course, I'm writing them down!). I'm still excited, jazzed, ready to pounce! So stay tuned, the mahem begins in 11 days!

No comments: