Sunday, October 18, 2009

at Macy's trying to write - why am I struggling so???

Sarah and I are at Macy's (for those of you in Lincoln, read "The Mill," for those of you in Denver, read "Kaladi Brothers") eating yogurt and drinking "specials" and I am trying to write Gehrke. I have to say that I really don't understand why I am struggling so with this book. It makes me want to scream! I have an inspiration and I write things down - usually this happens to me late at night, right before I go to sleep. I learned a while ago to always have paper and pen by my bed to capture these "moments of brain activity." I've got a book full of pieces of the story, I've got a couple of text docs on my computer that include pieces, but when I actually sit down and try to pull this all together I flame out - big time! What the heck is up with this?

So I got a book this week titled, "The I Ching for Writers," by Sarah Jane Sloane. (This is what happens whenever I try to kill some time in a bookstore - I end up buying a book.) In my defense, this book seems to be the perfect book for me: it's about divination and writing - what more could you want? It really spoke to me because as I was looking it over Sloane started talking about fear and writing. She says, "Embrace your fear; look it in the eye; write down everything it says" [page 5 if you're interested]. This is an approach I haven't taken yet - but it's very intriguing to think about what my fear is "saying..."

The next thing that happened - and this really sealed my buying this book - was looking at the first interpretation: Ch'ien which by no coincidence means to begin again...this is what I'm doing with the Gehrke book. I am beginning again and the interpretation presented by Sloane, indicates that taking a new approach to an existing project will result in success and not just regular success, but "great success" [page 25]

All bodes well for a positive result. Everyone loves Maggie's writing (what's not to love), I've gotten good feedback on my approaches to the new way of presenting the content, all indications point to success (beyond Sloane's book). So what the h*ll is going on? Why can't I just sit down and write? What is causing me to seize up, dry up and just stair at the page...waiting for something to happen...that never does?

Help!

No comments: